An exempt transfer is only allowed if the vehicle is registered in KY. The following are instances when a vehicle may be transferred between individuals without paying usage tax:

  • Grandparent/Grandchild
  • Husband/Wife
  • Parent/Child
  • Stepparent/Stepchild

The following items are needed to complete the transfer:
  • KY title properly assigned.
  • KY title application properly signed and notarized.
    This application may be on the back of the title, if not you will need Adobe PDFForm #TC96-182.
  • Proof of insurance in the name of the person the vehicle is being transferred to.
  • Motor Vehicle Usage Tax Multipurpose Adobe PDFForm #71A101.

If the vehicle has a special plate of any type, that plate must be surrendered and a regular plate issued at an additional charge. If you need help filling out any of the forms mentioned here, please call the Hardin County Clerk's Office Vehicle Registration Department, at 270-765-4115.



Adobe Acrobat ReaderWe understand your time is valuable. In order to make our website more convenient, we've included some useful forms that you can download and prepare in advance. The documents are available in printable PDF files using Adobe Acrobat Reader.If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, download a free copy now from Adobe.